Myth of Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Myth of Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Introduction and Overview on Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
The stories to explore if something could help maintain and sustain penile erection for procreation and sexual pleasure have been same in all races and cultures. All these have been around the try and use of natural remedies from plants or certain parts of animals but with a lot of uncertainty. As a result, tons of puzzle and myth of the related subjects from the endeavor seeking out the answers to restore erection from the nature have left behind and lingered to today despite unveiling the new era of care for erectile dysfunction after discovery and application of sildenafil citrate (Viagra) since April, 1998.
Hence, it is necessary to timely detail and solve, if possible, the Myth of Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction (ED).
First, let us review some historical examples of natural remedies as follows:
- Parts of plants like leafs, roots, and flowers as herbal aphrodisiacs: In the East, notably in China and India in its fart past – for thousands years,, many herbs were used to tout their ability to enhance sexual ability. The common examples are Angelica sinensis, Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort, Folium Ginkgo Bilobae, common Cnidium fruit, Tribulus terrestris, Morinda officinalis How, Ginseng, etc.
- Parts of animals life their penis, horn, testicles, etc. as animal aphrodisiacs: Many species have been victimized and mystified to elevate human sexual power. Yet, these animal aphrodisiacs were chiefly the luxury of the nobles like emperors and the rich. The common examples of these victimized animals were Rhino, deers, tigers, seals, yaks, sharks, bulls, tortoises, seahorses, and even crocodiles. The poaching and killing these animals has endangered and even led to their extinction. Recently, such human cruelty against animals is prohibited, but secretive poaching and killing for commercial smuggling, notably to some countries in the East like China and the countries in the Southeastern Asia.
- Today, the still most revered and popularly used in the East, chiefly in China or India, are Tongkat Ali, Schisandra, Tribulus terrestris, Ginseng, and Epimedium (horny goat weed).
- Lately, over the last few decades, more focused interest for current commerce is directed to the use and study of L-arginine, Yohimbine, Red Ginseng, DEhydroepiandrosterone(DHEA), Gingko bilobae, and Epimedium (horny goat weed).
How do these ingredients work to help improve virility?
Through some limited-even biased and not well-studied-clinical observation and chiefly in animal studies, the suggested contributing factors for improving erection, sex desire, endurance, etc. include:
- promote production of nitric oxide to dilate the smooth muscles in the penis,
- dilate capillaries to improve general circulation,
- possible enhance testosterone secretion/production,
- stimulate central nerve system to elevate sex desire.
However, the care for ED was not as comprehensive and effective as what are provided in modern medicine, especially after April, 1998 when sildenafil citrate (Viagra) was first introduced.
Next, let us briefly review some known facts about erectile function and its dysfunction.
What is Some Facts About Erectile Function and Sexual Intercourse?
Normally, penile erection could be possible only if the circulation and nerve control to the penis are adequately integrated and coordinated well under the blessing of proper mental and physical health. If the above conditions are impaired to a tipping-over degree, chiefly by the inevitable aging effects and some diseases, erectile dysfunction (ED) takes place manifesting on its slowly progressive course.
Oftentimes, we ignore the absolute necessity to have sufficient physical energy and ability in order to perform well in any tasks in life-of course, sexual intercourse is included and of no exception since sexual intercourse is a process of very heavy mental and physical drainage as described in When and How to Use Viagra or Other PDE-5 Inhibitors for Erectile Dysfunction?.
How to keep up sufficient physical energy and ability? Undoubtedly, quality healthy lifestyle without overindulgence and obsession remains the real source to assure men to have energy and ability to perform as well and as long as possible.
But, some undesirable changes to impair the source to supply sufficient energy and ability for performance may inevitably occur along our life path; the examples are slow decrease in testosterone production, aging/surgery-related impaired absorption of nutrients, impaired poor circulation, and side effects of diseases related to endocrine, circulatory, and nerve functions.
Consequently, multiple vitamins and some minerals have been added into the pills of natural remedies to potentially maximize the power of improved general well-being as follows:
- Vitamins are biotin, folate/folic acid, niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K.
- Minerals are chloride, fluoride, calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, and zinc.
So, what are the potential ingredients of natural remedies for erectile dysfunctions?
In sum, the related supplies usually contain some or all kinds of so-called either plant or animal aphrodisiacs PLUS multiple vitamins and minerals as presented and discussed above.
What Should Men Do in Facing the Issues of ED?
I highly recommend you to do the following:
- understand and accept the facts of life and ED as much as possible;
- explore how to take care of ED;
- find out how to properly diagnose their ED;
- explore the causes for their ED;
- sort out how to treat their ED.
What Have We Done for ED Historically?
The course of care for ED starts out with understanding the facts of ED to behavioral modification to boost performance to trying natural remedies. For further details, go to Ancient Answers to Erectile Dysfunction.
What Are the Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction ED?
Dated back some 2000+ years, humans have searched the so-called natural remedies, which are usually dubbed as aphrodisiacs. Among them, the following 5 herbs are most commonly mentioned and used. They are:
- Panax ginseng, the root of a Chinese and Korean herb, possibly boost stamina, well-being, penile rigidity, sexual desire…
- Maca, from the root vegetable from Peru, possibly improve sexual performance….
- Yohimbine, from a Western African tree bark, possibly help improve the function of penile nerves and blood vessels, boost sexual desire, and prolong erection…
- Ginkgo biloba, from a Chinese tree, possibly improve blood supply, erection…
- Mondia whitei root from an African plant, possibly helps sexual desire, testosterone level, erection…
In addition to the above FIVEs, some other herbs have been reported in treating ED; they are:
- horny goat weed, or epimedium
- musli, or Chlorophytum borivilianum
- saffron, or Crocus sativus
- Tribulus terrestris
On top of the above mentioned ingredients, some companies may formulate supplementary pills to include multiple vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K), minerals (iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, manganese,calcium, even iron), anti-oxidants (alpha-lipoic acid, Lutemax 2020 lutein, Lycopene, turmeric root extract, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin), niacin, pentothenic acid, folic acid, biotin, etc.
Besides, some companies add gingko biloba lead powder, bacopa monnieri leaf extract, phosphatidyl serine, choline, Inositol, and grape seed extract so to specifically tout a boost to brain function, or add saw palmetto berries extract, nettle leaf powder, pumpkin seed powder, L-arginine, silica, boron, resveratrol, and vanadium so to specifically promote prostate health, or add antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid, Lutemax 2020 lutein, Lycopene, turmeric root extract, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin so to tout a boost of anti-aging effects.
All these additions to the pills are intended to cover almost all potential nutrient deficiencies we can imagine as well as to act like a cure-all or healing-all remedies. How all these supplement would do for us? In general, those people taking food supplements tend to be more health-conscious, resulting in more practicing healthy lifestyle with less overindulgence and obsession. Furthermore, any pills may have their inherent so-called placebo effect. All in all, the supplementary pills and lifestyle may contribute to the overall functional improvement leading to their swearing-by about how good the supplements could be.
With some murky supports to using supplements to date, what should we do in dealing with if we should take food supplements? In my view, it is reasonable to take them in moderation in conjunction with practicing healthy lifestyle without overindulgence and obsession.
The Common Features of These Herbs-related Supplements and Pills
- None of these are approved by FDA (The Foods and Drug Administration).
- Not well studied for human use, with most information on their potential merits usually extrapolated from animal studies, then exaggerated their effects.
- Possibly contaminated especially those from other countries, where the manufactured standard is not as high as that in the US, which is still not perfect with frauds at time life.
- Often mixed with multiple vitamins, minerals, and others with nutritional effects, though these products are usually formulated according to individual companies’ contention and belief so to better their marketing.
- Possibly add L-arginine, which is an amino acid and known to enhance NO (nitric oxide) formation so to dilate blood vessels leading to help penile erection. More? Go to its details.
How to Use Natural Herbal Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Talk with your doctors first if possible,
- watch for potential risks and side effects, like watching for high blood pressure at taking Yohimbine and for the interaction of ginkgo biloba with blood thinners…
- Use it as recommended by the companies and do not overuse, but still with caution especially at the beginning,
- If noticing something wrong after taking any new pills or drugs, report to and ask the prescribing doctors.
Who May See Some Good Results from Taking These Supplements or Pills?
- At the early phase of erectile dysfunction, as explained in the Introduction.
- With no clinical illness in general circulation and nervous system to the penis.
- Willing to seriously take on high-quality healthy lifestyle without overindulgence and obsession including no alcohol, tobacco, obesity/overweight,
Is there a proper position to use natural remedies for erectile dysfunction (ED)? Yes, as described in the last two sections –
How to Use Natural Herbal Remedies? and Who May See Some Good Effectiveness from Taking These Supplements or Pills?.
Let’s Hear From You
- After reading this article, please leave a positive comment if you feel its contents is useful to help you take the most reasonable options of care for your erectile dysfunction.
- As well, please share the information on your social media profiles with your family and friends you care and love.
- And do not forget to sign up for the FREE monthly eNewsLetter authored by Dr. Lin to help maintain good health with energy and ability as good as possible for a long active vibrant life ahead of you.
- Of course, if you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach me at 734-846-2699 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Further, if needing more help/support? You may set up a private personal counseling so to decide what would be most reasonable for you. Doing so will ease your unnecessary anxiety and fear. Don’t you like that? I am ready for you.
- Now I wish you the best to get the most reasonable care for erectile dysfunction and other matters of life as described in Perfect Sex... and What is Life?…
James Chin-Ti Lin, M.D.